The online community is fast evolving and this means that opportunities are fast approaching for careers in social media. I am sure no one would consider being a social media manager or a content curator for social media sites a decade ago. This, we can certainly understand as there was no demand for such services. Back then sites such as HI5, MySpace and Tagged were for personal use, connecting with friends and family worldwide. Today, the use of social media has surpassed its sole use of personal interaction and is now an effective tool for marketing and communication within businesses.
I decided to start a career in Social Media and Website Management, an ideal sync within the digital world, in January 2010 as a result of the identified opportunities within the area. It has allowed me to unearth the vast potential that it can afford users and its rapid growth has a myriad of opportunities for individuals worldwide. There are many areas you can specialize in, but I will highlight three of them below.
- Social Media Manager:
Responsibilities of the social media manager include:
- Developing realistic goals
- Managing graphic designs
- Develop a content, promotion, and engagement strategy
- Evaluate results of social media reach
- Social Media Marketing Manager
Responsibilities of the social media marketing manager include:
- Content creation
- Manage posts
- Conduct competition analysis within the online community
- Execute social media campaigns
- Social Media Copywriter
- Social media monitoring
- Create and manage content for social media sites.
- Manage competitive advertising
- Identify campaign initiatives
Benefits of a Career in Social Media
- Job opportunities are continually developing and varied as social media is emerging rapidly.
- Experience in social media will make you more attractive to employers as most businesses are now utilizing social media as a way of reaching their customers and potential customers.
- Social media allows for the opportunity to explore different areas, thus building your expertise and skills which can be easily transferred to different work environments.